Warehouses, with their loading docks and high ceilings, are difficult to heat efficiently.
Because hot air rises, the air at the top of the warehouse gets hot while the air at ground level stays cold. Also, heat often escapes through open loading docks. Because of these issues, using a permanent heating system in a warehouse is often too costly. A popular and energy efficient solution is to use a combination of portable heaters and industrial fans.
Follow our checklist before you decide on the best heating option for you.
- Understand the specifics. What are your goals for heating? Maintain an above freezing temperature? 50°, 55°? Employee comfort?
- Define the cubic feet. While you should know the specifics about the floor plan, you need to calculate more than just the square feet.
- Pick a temperature. Determine how much of a temperature increase is required to get to a desired level of heat. It’s important to also keep in mind the different types of construction material that are being used in the building, as temperature may impact them.
- Determine the heat loss. With a desired temperature in mind, it’s time to think about how it can be maintained. Understand how loose the structure is and if heat will be lost.
- Determine the required BTU. You want to make sure the system you choose can deliver the correct amount of energy. Calculating room sizes and understanding insulation levels can help you support your heating decision. Our heat calculator can help you decide.
- Choose a fuel source. Your building may limit your available fuel sources, but generally you have the options of electric, propane, NG, or diesel/heating oil.
- Install proper equipment (direct and indirect fired equipment): Understand the type of equipment you need to make sure your heating system runs efficiently. You can choose between direct fired heaters and indirect fired heaters. Direct are used where there is air flow in your location that has limited insulation, while indirect provides clean warm air in tightly insulated areas. Visit our portable heating store for a look at our inventory.
Keep in mind that each of these steps is important in choosing the best heating solution for your warehouse. Priority Rental can help you choose the best possible option, and we’ll always deliver quick, reliable, and professional service. If you are looking for a warehouse heat consultant please contact us for an onsite evaluation.