We’re always hearing that mold is dangerous to our health. We even have buildings inspected to ensure that those innocent-enough-looking spots are not present. Have you ever wondered what all of the hype was about? Or why mold is so dangerous?
How does it affect your daily health?
Different people react to mold differently. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), most people experience mild symptoms such as throat irritation, nasal congestion, coughing, or eye irritation. More serious reactions are seen by those with mold allergies or individuals who work in moldy conditions. Some of these symptoms include fever, shortness of breath, chronic lung disease, or even mold infection. If you have asthma, you can expect mold to cause more severe asthmatic symptoms. It is even believed that mold can bring about asthma in certain individuals.
Are there more serious complications?
You shouldn’t underestimate the health effects of living or working with mold. Prolonged exposure poses the threat of more severe reactions like pulmonary hemorrhaging, memory loss, or respiratory scarring. If you expect a mold problem growing in your home or work place, do not wait to take action. Take a look at our mold prevention blog to see what you can do, and how renting a dehumidifier or fan might help. It may seem inconvenient, but your health is on the line.
Where does mold grow?
Anywhere moisture is present, mold could be too. It commonly enters buildings through vents, doors, windows, pipes, or anywhere there has been flooding. The CDC lists common places with high likelihood of mold as:
- Ceiling tiles
- Under sinks
- Dry wall
- Masonry surfaces